Colleges and universities in the United States rank highly among the world’s most prestigious institutions of higher education. Many universities are particularly well known for their strong research capabilities and their connections to many Nobel Prize-winning laureates.
The U.S. university system is largely decentralized. Except for service academies and staff colleges, the federal government does not directly regulate universities; public universities are administered solely by the individual states.
Besides the state-administered public universities, there are many private universities in the United States, most are non-profit institutions, similar to the public universities, but there are also a number of institutions that rely on profit (Walden University in Minnesota for example).
In general, tuition fees are required to be paid by students at American universities. Public universities generally charge lower tuition rates to in-state students, than to out-of-state students. Private universities are often much more expensive than public ones because they do not receive funding from state governments.
The Richest Universities In The World 2019
|1||Harvard University||$38.3 Billion|
|2||The University Of Texas System||$30.89 Billion|
|3||Yale University||$29.35 Billion|
|4||Stanford University||$26.46 Billion|
|5||Princeton University||$25.92 Billion|
|6||Massachusetts Institute of Technology||$16.53 Billion|
|7||University of Pennsylvania||$13.78 Billion|
|8||The Texas A&M University System||$13.52 Billion|
|9||University of Michigan||$11.9 Billion|
|10||Northwestern University||$11.09 Billion|
The university with the largest endowment market value in 2018 was Harvard University with an endowment fund value of about 38.3 billion U.S. dollars.
- Endowment: $23,812,241,000
- Annual cost of tuition per undergraduate student: $47,140
- Average salary of full professor: $206,496
- Annual research budget: $305,147,000
- Endowment: $24,784,943,000
- Annual cost of tuition per undergraduate student: $49,617
- Average salary of full professor: $234,549
- Annual research budget: $1,066,269,000 — Stanford University ranks #8 for Largest Research Budgets
3.The University of Texas System
- Endowment: $26,535,095,000
- Annual cost of tuition per undergraduate student: $36,744 (Austin)
- Average salary of full professor: $116,119 (Austin)
- Annual research budget: $621,692,000 (Austin)
- Endowment: $27,176,100,000
- Average annual tuition per undergraduate student: $51,400
- Average salary of full professor: $216,189
- Annual research budget: $881,765,000 — Yale ranks #17 for Largest Research Budgets
- Endowment: $36,021,516,000
- Average annual tuition per undergraduate student: $48,949
- Average salary of full professor: $221,382
- Annual research budget: $1,077,253,000 — Harvard ranks #7 for Largest Research Budgets